This is was my first time using grits. I must say they are so much better than I expected. They have just never appealed to me. When I have seen other recipes and pictures they just looked dull and unappealing.
My sister gave me a big bag of them when she came to visit recently. She raved how delicious they are. So I thought I better learn to make these and give them a whirl. With her help and a little research I made these creamy (—–> and flavorful) grits. I’m now a huge fan and can’t wait to make a breakfast version.
These grits are cooked with chicken broth and salt to give them a great flavor. To add creaminess I used milk, cheese and a touch of butter. Top it all off with some crispy bacon and you have an awesome bowl of goodness.
- ¾ C grits
- 1.5 C chicken broth
- 1.5 C water
- ½ C milk
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 T butter
- 1 C cheddar cheese
- 2 strips of bacon, crumbled
- Bring chicken broth and salt to a boil.
- Add in grits. Bring to a boil again and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir often and add water ½ C at a time as needed.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in milk, butter, pepper, garlic powder and cheese.
- Simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Do not let boil or burn on the bottom.
- Remove from heat and top with crumbled bacon.